1. Tulum is an amazing Mayan archaeological site facing the majestic Caribbean Sea, a privileged and unique place in the world for its beauty, location and cultural value.
Beach of Tulum
2. The original name of the site was Zamá, which means sunrise. Tulum, which means enclosure or wall, was the name given once this Mayan archaeological site was discovered.
3. Its strategic position facing the sea, made Tulum a commercial maritime emporium, being an unavoidable trade route, which also originated the exploitation of the maritime resources of the coast of Quintana Roo.
4. Tulum was a school of astronomy attended by Aztec nobles, Zapotecs and other reigning sites at the time of its splendor.
Tulum in the Riviera Maya
5. Tulum was dedicated to the planet Venus and was built around an astronomical tower, with rooms of obsidian mirrors to project the sky and decipher the writing of the stars. Its main buildings are the El Castillo pyramid, the Temple of the Descending God and the Temple of the Frescoes.
6. This territorial area is known as Tulum National Park, declared in 1981 for the richness of its flora and fauna, highlighting the red mangrove, the chechén, the chit palm, as well as the spoon duck, the spider monkey, armadillos , iguanas, squirrels, in addition to sea turtles (white and loggerhead) that nest on the beaches of the park.
Ancient city of Tulum
7. It is the only protected natural area in the Cancun-Tulum corridor and is the hydrological region that provides the greatest amount of fresh water to the sea with its enigmatic subterranean rivers and amazing cenotes located in the vicinity of Tulum, such as the Cenote Dos Ojos, the Great Cenote and the Crystal Cenote, among others, which had a sacred character for the Maya and are linked to Mayan traditions, ceremonies and legends.
Archaeological Site of Tulum
8. It is a tourist destination with warm starry nights that offers a quiet hotel zone with a variety of accommodations, bars and restaurants, relaxing spas and a bohemian atmosphere, where many tourists walk or bike.